Prey to use PunkBuster Software
Today we're announcing that we've contracted with Even Balance to include PunkBuster software into Prey. Here's a short press release from the Even Balance website..
2K Games has contracted with Even Balance, Inc. to integrate PunkBuster Anti-Cheat software into the highly anticipated PREY, currently being developed by Human Head Studios and executive produced by 3D Realms. PunkBuster Anti-Cheat features will be available "out-of-the-box" with the retail release of the game.
PunkBuster is an anti-cheat software package which has many kinds of features. Here's some of the features of the software as shown on Even Balance's info page:
- Real-time scanning of memory by PB Client on players' computers searching for known hacks/cheats
- Throttled two-tiered background auto-update system using multiple Internet Master Servers to provide end-user security ensuring that no false or corrupted updates can be installed on players' computers
- Frequent status reports (highly encrypted) are sent to the PB Server by all players and the PB Server raises a violation when necessary which causes the offending player to be removed from the game and all other players are informed of the violation
- PB Admins can also manually remove players from the game for a specified number of minutes or permanently ban if desired
- PB Servers can optionally be configured to randomly check player settings looking for known exploits of the game engine
- PB Admins can request actual screenshot samples from specific players and/or can configure the PB Server to randomly grab screenshot samples from players during gameplay
- An optional "bad name" facility is provided so that PB Admins can prevent players from using offensive player names containing unwanted profanity or racial slurs
- Search functions are provided for PB Admins who wish to search player's keybindings and scripts for anything that may be known to exploit the game
- The PunkBusterâ„¢ Player Power facility can be configured to allow players to self-administer game servers when the Server Administrator is not present entirely without the need for passwords
- PB Servers have an optional built-in mini http web server interface that allows the game server to be remotely administered via a web browser from anywhere over the Internet